Novelis Scholars Program
The Novelis Innovation Hub at Georgia Tech is pleased to announce the launch of the Novelis Scholars
Program which seeks to recognize top graduate students conducting research in various aspects of
sustainability, high-throughput materials discovery, and surface functionalization, and AI/data science
applications in materials/manufacturing/supply chains. As a global leader in innovative aluminum
products and services and as the world’s largest recycler of aluminum, championing the vision of a circular
economy, Novelis has partnered with Georgia Tech to collaborate on R&D, and promote education of the
next generation of engineers dedicated to making better products that lead to a more sustainable world.
Novelis is headquartered in Atlanta with a global footprint, over 12,500 employees and recorded $12.3
billion in revenue for its 2020 fiscal year. Novelis is a subsidiary of Hindalco Industries Limited, an industry
leader in aluminum and copper, and the metals flagship company of the Aditya Birla Group, a
multinational conglomerate based in Mumbai, India. For more information about Novelis, please visit
www.novelis.com and see their recent press release on expansion of the Novelis-GT Partnership.
• Catalyze and cultivate excellence in graduate level research in strategic growth areas relevant to
Novelis and Georgia Tech.
• Connect top students and their thesis advisors with Novelis scientists and engineers to learn
about their research and explore collaboration and engagement opportunities.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
• Open to students pursuing M.S. and Ph.D. degrees with their thesis research focused on one of
the following areas of relevance to Novelis: 1) Sustainable design, processes, and business
practices, 2) High-throughput materials discovery, 3) Surface functionalization/modification
technologies, and 4) AI/Data Science applications in materials/manufacturing/supply chains.
• Emphasis on research and academic excellence.
• Students who enhance diversity and inclusion initiatives at both Georgia Tech and Novelis are
strongly encouraged to apply.
• $7,500 award (topping grant) for the 2021-2022 Academic Year
• “Spend a day at NGRTC”
o Present a Novelis Scholar Invited Lecture on research accomplishments during the year
of the award to Novelis R&D Scientists and Engineers at the Novelis Global Research &
Technology Center (NGRTC) in Kennesaw, GA
o NGRTC Lab Tour
o Opportunity to interact with Novelis leadership, and scientists and engineers working on
o Opportunity to learn about Novelis’ R&D initiatives for real-world challenges
• Send a short (< 2 pages) nomination letter from thesis advisor and the student’s CV to
• Deadline for submitting application: October 18, 2021
Please direct any general questions regarding the Novelis Scholars Program to Prof. Shreyes Melkote at