General Advising Information

In CEE there are two levels of advisor: Academic Advisors and Faculty/Thesis Advisors

Your faculty advisor is determined by your Affinity Group. Larger groups like ENVE, SEMM and TRANSPO will assign an advisor to each student.  For GEO, WATER and CISE, you will reach out to the group leader. The group leader role may rotate each year, so consult with the Graduate Student Services Office (GSSO) for the appropriate contact person.  Your faculty advisor will guide you towards the best courses to meet your academic goals.

For Master’s students, your academic advisor is the Academic Program Coordinator. They will:

  • clarify what courses can and cannot count towards your degree. View those courses here.  Any courses outside of this list will need faculty approval. I will work with you to apply your courses in DegreeWorks.
  • process most of your forms like the Graduate Internship form, Change/add major forms, etc.
  • process all visa-related forms through iStart.

When in doubt, email We’ll get the answer for you.

Georgia Tech and CEE policy can be complicated but you should always refer to the CEE Handbook and the Georgia Tech Catalog.

  • All our Master’s degree programs are 30 credits of  approved courses. Please view the page that applies to your specialization below.
  • 21 of those credits must be at the 6000 level or above.
  • 9 credits can be undergrad courses, but must be 4000 level only. They must be approved courses.
  • A maximum of 3 credits of Pass/Fail courses can count towards your Master’s degree (with the exception of thesis credits).

*Courses outside of the ones listed on the links below must be approved by your faculty advisor. Please send an email to your faculty advisor, asking for the approval, and asking them to cc the Academic Program Coordinator with their response. We can then apply the courses.  You should be having a discussion with your faculty advisor before registering for courses outside of the pre-approved list.

CISE (Construction and Infrastructure Systems Engineering)
ENVE (Environmental Engineering)
GEO (Geosystems Engineering)
SEMM (Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Materials)
TRANSPO (Transportation Systems Engineering)
WATER (Water Resources Engineering)
CSE (Computational Science and Engineering)
ESM (Engineering Science and Mechanics)  

DegreeWorks is a very helpful resource. Log in and you can see all the courses you’ve taken and how they are being applied. The DegreeWorks system applies certain courses automatically but most courses will need to be applied manually by the Academic Program Coordinator.  Most courses will not be applied until you are closer to graduate but feel free to email to allocate your courses.