Novelis Graduate Scholars Program
The Novelis Innovation Hub at Georgia Tech is pleased to announce the launch of the Novelis Scholars Program for the 2023 calendar year. Nominations are sought from top graduate students conducting
research in various aspects of sustainability (carbon footprint/energy/water/waste reduction etc.),
techno-economics of circularity, high-throughput materials discovery, surface functionalization, and AI/data science applications in materials/manufacturing/supply chains. As a global leader in innovative
aluminum products and services, and as the world’s largest recycler of aluminum, championing the vision of a circular economy, Novelis has partnered with Georgia Tech to collaborate on R&D and promote
education of the next generation of engineers and scientists dedicated to building better products and innovative materials and manufacturing processes for a more sustainable world.
Novelis is headquartered in Atlanta with a global footprint, over 12,500 employees and recorded $17.1
billion in revenue for its 2022 fiscal year. Novelis is a subsidiary of Hindalco Industries Limited, an industry leader in aluminum and copper, and the metals flagship company of the Aditya Birla Group, a multinational conglomerate based in Mumbai, India. For more information about Novelis, please visit www.novelis.com and see their press release on expansion of the Novelis-GT Partnership.
• Catalyze and cultivate excellence in graduate level research in strategic growth areas relevant to Novelis and Georgia Tech.
• Connect top students and their thesis advisors with Novelis scientists and engineers to learn about their research and explore collaboration and engagement opportunities.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
• Open to graduate students whose thesis research is focused on one of the following areas of iinterest to Novelis: 1) Sustainable design, processes, and business practices, 2) High-throughput materials discovery, 3) Surface functionalization/modification technologies, and 4) AI/Data
Science applications in materials/manufacturing/supply chains.
• Emphasis on research and academic excellence.
• Students who enhance diversity and inclusion initiatives at Georgia Tech.
• Graduate Scholars: $8,000 annual award (in monthly stipends) for the 2023 Calendar Year
• “Spend a day at NGRTC”
-Present a Novelis Scholar Invited Lecture on research accomplishments during the year of the award to Novelis R&D Scientists and Engineers at the Novelis Global Research &
Technology Center (NGRTC) in Kennesaw, GA
-NGRTC Lab Tour
-Opportunity to interact with Novelis leadership, and scientists and engineers working on Novelis’ R&D initiatives for real-world challenges
• Possible tour of Novelis aluminum recycling and manufacturing facilities in GA and KY
• Send a short (< 2 pages) nomination letter from thesis advisor and the student’s CV to
email@example.com with copy to Dr. Kaveh Berenji (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Deadline for submitting application: November 14, 2022
Please direct any general questions regarding the Novelis Scholars Program to Prof. Shreyes Melkote