HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking a Structural Engineering Designer to join our growing team in New York, NY. As a Structural Engineering Designer, you will be responsible for structural analysis, design and documentation for a variety of building system types as part of a multi-disciplinary project team. Work will include conceptual design to final construction documentation and construction administration.
- Works closely as a member of one or more project teams and assists to complete projects on aggressive schedules.
- Performs all work in a clear, complete, and accurate manner.
- Checks Revit models for clearances, potential conflicts, and relationships of the various parts to the whole and to one another.
- Implements and utilizes HOK Best Practices for projects and processes.
- Generate structural analysis models for complex structures using industry standard software packages and relevant building codes.
- Design structural steel, concrete and masonry systems to meet strength and serviceability criteria.
- Develop, modify and review models, plans, details and drawings of structural engineering systems and components according to established standards.
- Review Revit models for potential conflicts, and relationships of the various parts to the whole and to one another.
- Actively seeks new knowledge related to structural engineering practices, principles and regulations changes.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Performs structural design and analysis for various structural materials, including steel, concrete, and concrete masonry.
- Develops, modifies and reviews models, plans, details and drawings of structural engineering systems and components according to established standards and Revit modeling techniques, based on input (sketches, layouts and verbal instructions) from the structural engineering team.
- Organizes and maintains models and documents for multiple projects.
- Utilizes knowledge and experience in applying modeling principles for complete and accurate drawings.
- Produces drawing charts for schedules and data, making changes and adjustments as necessary with input from the structural engineering team as required.
- Basic knowledge of engineering principles and practices.
- Basic knowledge of building regulations and safety codes.
- Basic knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of drawings and models.
- Understanding of structural principles and behavior, including seismic design requirements.
- Organized and able to handle multiple responsibilities and projects in order to effectively meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Basic knowledge about sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines preferred.
- Ability to learn and perform standard computer modeling functions using Revit and be able to identify and help work to resolve design conflicts.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Revit required, proficiency in BIM and AutoCAD preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering. Master’s degree in structural engineering strongly preferred
- Positions available for candidates with 0-7 years of experience
- Experience working with a variety of structural materials and systems
- EIT, PE, or the desire to achieve licensure strongly preferred
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.