Assistant Professor- Construction Engineering- Fall 2022
Oct 02, 2021
The University of Texas at Austin Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering (CAEE) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the assistant professor level. We seek candidates with a construction engineering and project management background to conduct transformative research aimed at drastically improving the sustainability and reliability of construction projects by rethinking the way the built environment is planned, designed, built, operated, maintained, and/or decommissioned. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Planning and execution of infrastructure projects related to green energy, disaster response, disaster recovery, and/or climate change adaptation.
- Sustainability and reliability of construction projects.
- Novel construction engineering or management technologies.
- Research at the interfaces of construction engineering, project management, technology, and/or sustainability.
The multi-disciplinary nature of this research area will require collaboration with other researchers within and outside the Cockrell School of Engineering.
The successful candidate is expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in construction engineering and project management to a diverse student population in the CAEE department, develop a sustainable sponsored research program, mentor graduate students, collaborate with other faculty from a wide range of backgrounds within and outside of the CAEE department, and be involved in service to the school, university, and the profession. Though preference will be given to applicants at the assistant professor rank, truly exceptional candidates at higher ranks will also be considered.
The department and the Cockrell School of Engineering are committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment. We are interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their teaching, research, and service activities.
The CAEE department has over 55 faculty and is currently ranked amongst the top five graduate and undergraduate programs in both civil and environmental engineering by US News and World Report. Faculty in CAEE have access to state-of-the-art, internationally recognized research and computational facilities, including the Construction Industry Institute and the Texas Advanced Computing Center.
Applicants must have an earned Ph.D. degree, or be enrolled in a Ph.D. program, in Civil Engineering or other relevant discipline at the time of application.
Interested and qualified individuals should submit materials in electronic form to https://www.caee.utexas.edu/people/faculty/job-openings. Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2021.
- Cover letter — the cover letter should be addressed to: Chair, Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering.
- Curriculum Vitae—including academic and professional experience and a list of publications.
- Statement of Research—including past research accomplishments and outlining areas of technical expertise that complement the department’s strategic plan and vision (available at https://www.caee.utexas.edu/about/strategic-vision).
- Statement of Teaching — including prior teaching experience, teaching philosophy, and future teaching interests.
- Statement describing past contributions and future plans for promoting diversity and inclusion (DEI) through research, teaching, and/or service. The Cockrell School’s DEI plan is available at https://cockrell.utexas.edu/about/diversity-and-inclusion/plan.
- The names and e-mail addresses of a minimum of three references for assistant professors. Higher ranks must provide at least five references.
A security-sensitive background check will be conducted on applicants selected for the position.