Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Associate or Senior Editor, Nature Sustainability
Locations: London, Berlin, New York, Shanghai
Closing date: 11th April 2022
Nature Sustainability publishes research and opinion across a wide spectrum of natural, social and engineering domains on sustainability, its policy dimensions and possible solutions. Part of the journal’s mission is to highlight research integrating social, environmental, and technological systems and facilitate cross-disciplinary dialogue.
The team requires one full-time Associate or Senior Editor with a strong quantitative background in environmental engineering, ideally with expertise in pollution remediation, Life Cycle Analysis, recycling methods or closely related topics. Candidates should have a broad understanding of sustainability research or related experience with interdisciplinary research. A key aspect of the job is liaising with the scientific community through laboratory visits and international conferences either virtually or by travelling when possible – willingness to engage in a mix of outreach activities is essential.
You will work closely with the Chief Editor and a small team of editors from the natural, social and engineering domains on all aspects of the editorial process, which includes:
- Manuscript selection and handling of peer review
- Commissioning and editing of Review and Comment articles
- Writing for the journal
Applicants should have:
- A PhD and strong research record in the relevant discipline and, preferably, postdoctoral or equivalent experience
- Broad scientific knowledge and training
- Excellent literary skills
- Ability to absorb and appreciate new areas of research, and a keen interest in the practice and communication of science
- Good time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Editorial experience desirable, but full training will be given
The positions will be based in our London, Berlin, New York or Shanghai offices. Please state your preferred location in your application.
Most employees are currently working remotely. Once the offices fully re-open, all employees will be expected to be based in the office, in line with our global work from home policy, which will be discussed during the interview.
To apply, please send:
- Your CV as well as a brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position and indicating salary expectations
- A selection of 5 articles from the recent scientific literature reflecting your views of sustainability research (provide the full reference, and ideally a link to the article; provide a brief rationale for your choice)
- A 200-word writing sample (you can summarise a recently published paper, report on a significant sustainability development or reflect on an emerging sustainability debate)
Closing date: 11th April 2022