The Ph.D. Applicant Mentorship program (PhAM) is looking for CEE Ph.D students to serve as undergraduate student mentors! Mentoring our CEE undergrads is only a small time commitment, but it is fun, rewarding, and looks great on a CV! PhAM currently needs new mentors to help out with its two services: 1-on-1 Mentorship and Workshops (more info below!). Mentors can participate in one or both parts of the program.
Please fill out this survey to sign up: https://gatech.co1.qualtrics.com/join_PhAM
Mentors will be paired with a CEE undergraduate and are expected to meet with their mentee several times per semester. Some ways you might help your mentee are listed below:
For mentees graduating in 2-3 years, you can:
· Help them decide if they to want pursue a Ph.D.
· Suggest how to use their undergrad years to prepare for Ph.D. studies
· Share strategies for learning about Ph.D. programs
For mentees graduating in 0-2 years, you can:
· Help them find fitting Ph.D. programs
· Guide them through the Ph.D. application process
· Prepare them for interviews and help them evaluate offers
Mentors are also invited to serve as panelists in 1-hour conversational workshops open to all CEE undergraduates. This semester’s workshops will be held in hybrid mode at:
11am on 10/15/2021 (Topic: Is grad school right for me? Master’s or Ph.D.?), and
11/12/2021 (Topic: How do I apply to grad school?).
Panelists will share their personal experience on each the topic at the beginning of the workshop, and they will help answer students questions during the Q&A that follows.